Tshwane electricity increases: AfriForum takes Tshwane Metro to court.
Your electricity has been increased illegally! AfriForum to take Tshwane Metro to court.
Even though AfriForum stopped the Tshwane Metro’s planned implementation of an electricity tariff increase, the Metro is still continuing with this increase without Nersa’s approval.
Give us your mandate to have this tariff put aside in court:
Please spread this message to all the residents of Pretoria.
The Tshwane Metro wants to increase the accounts of all electricity consumers in a proposed manner that will affect residents in the following ways:
- A R120 basic tariff payable to the Metro even before any electricity is used;
- A proposed tariff structure that will have electricity consumers who use less than 650 kWh experiencing an increase of 80% or more; and
- Poor and old people will be affected most by the proposed increase.
AfriForum objects to the proposed tariff increase and demands that Nersa rejects it on the following grounds:
- No public participation process was followed to obtain the public’s input.
- An increase of more than 80% is significantly higher than Nersa’s 13.8% guideline.
- The basic fee of R120 is excessive.
The tariff increase is unfair.
AfriForum stops the implementation of Tshwane electricity tariff increase until further notice and forces Nersa to follow a public participation process.