The Hartbeespoort community will work as a united front from now on to combat crime. This comes after residents united at an AfriForum meeting at which the civil rights organisation launched its 5 point plan against crime in the area.
Neighbourhood watches, the community policing forum and commanders of the South African Police Service (SAPS) were on the panel in support of this plan. Top cop and former director of the SAPS, Piet Byleveld addressed residents about crime prevention and what to do in emergency situations.
The 5 point plan entails:
- The creation of a central information and operational centre to promote communication among neighbourhood watches.
- Acting against illegal immigrants.
- Acting when homes are rented out illegally.
- Cooperation with the SAPS to prosecute cases privately which were not handled by the Public Prosecutor.
- Cooperation amongst neighbourhood watches.
”It’s wonderful to see how the community stands together. If everyone can become involved, we can make a visible difference,” RB du Preez, Chairman of the AfriForum branch in Hartbeespoort said.
Join AfriForum and strengthen your neighbourhood watch. SMS your name to 45351. R1/SMS.