The civil rights organisation AfriForum’s Kempton Park branch management on 16 October 2019 held their Annual General Meeting (AGM) at the Dutch Reformed Church in Birchleigh. The meeting was attended by approximately 40 people and the branch management gave feedback regarding the successes achieved this year, as well as what the branch is planning for the rest of the year and 2020.
Here are some highlights that were mentioned during the meeting:
- The branch’s membership reached 800.
- The neighbourhood watch rendered assistance at more than 70 incidents, including arrests, drug smuggling and vehicle accidents.
- The branch purchased a double cab bakkie to increase capacity.
- The branch opened an office in Soutpans Road with the aim of later also establishing it as a community control room.
- The branch’s recycling project expanded from one to three areas.
- The branch’s youth wing launched an owl house project; six owl houses currently form part of the project.
- The branch successfully completed eight projects in 2019.
Marnus Kamfer, AfriForum’s Legal and Risk Manager, was the guest speaker and addressed the audience about illegal building operations and tenants on private property, as well as the right of existence of AfriForum’s neighbourhood watches within the Constitution.
The vacant portfolios in the branch were also opened up to the community during the meeting and filled at the conclusion thereof.
“AfriForum’s Kempton Park branch is turning five this month and it is a great honour for us to be part of the establishment and growth of the branch. We are privileged to have an extremely strong and competent management team without which none of these changes would have been possible. This success story is the result of positive and negative days, lots of patience and lots of time. We will not get tired and we are asking the community to support us by getting involved with the branch and its many activities,” says Jan Vermaak, Chairperson of AfriForum’s Kempton Park branch.
Get involved with AfriForum’s Kempton Park branch today: SMS “Kempton Park” to 45342 (R1) or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.